Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY
2013 - 2019
Doctoral Certificate in Art and Philosophy, 2015
B.A., English Literatures, Language, and Criticism
Hunter College, City University of New York
New York, NY
2008 - 2012
Magna Cum Laude
- “From Wordsworth’s Poetic Problem to Puzzleless Interactive Fiction.” Electronic Literature Organization Conference Proceedings, 2020.
- “Embodying Failures of the Imagination: Defending the Posthuman in The Surrogates.” Cyberpunk and Visual Culture, edited by Graham Murphy and Lars Schmeink. Routledge, 2017.
PreCursor Poets Highlights
- Literature and Hyperconnectivity – A 10-part series on the narrative and expressive challenges of our current era of constant communication not just between people, but also between people and machines, and between machines and machines.
- PreCursor Monthly – A monthly newsletter designed to cultivate a creative imagination fit for the digital 21st century world, bringing together in conversation classic literature, new literature, and computer-based literature.
- "Universal Baseball's Faithful Crowds," for instance, connects Robert Coover's The Universal Baseball Association, a 1961 baseball simulation program, Don DeLillo's The Silence, and Jon Bois's 17776 / 20020. A certain strain of imagination around sports in America makes for several interesting works, which become even more interesting when read together.
- Alternatively, "Can literature exist on Instagram?" connects Rupi Kaur's Instagram poetry (a frequent point of online commentary and questioning) with Shelley Jackson's Snow, William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Lyrical Ballads, and the illustrated poetry of William Blake. The titular question turns out to be much more complicated than expected by those who would seek to ask.
Awards / Fellowships
- Hechler Award for High Quality Dissertation. Stony Brook University Department of English. 2019.
- Graduate Fellowship in the Arts, Humanities and Lettered Social Sciences. Stony Brook University. 2018 – 2019.
- Robert Burns Literary Award. Hunter College. Spring 2013.
- Helen Gray Cone Fellowship in English, second place. Hunter College. Spring 2013.
- Sylvia and Howard Roshkow Memorial Prize for an Outstanding Undergraduate Student in 20th Century American Literature, honorable mention. Hunter College. Spring 2013.
- CUNY Pipeline Honors Program Fellowship. CUNY Graduate Center. 2011 – 2012.
- “Lyric Recollection and the Preservation of Ephemeral and Social Elit.” Electronic Literature Organization. Virtual. May 2021.
- “The Silent Visions of the Very Offline Novel.” American Comparative Literature Association. Virtual. April 2021.
- “Pursuing Frankenstein Across Shelley Jackson’s Hypertexts.” North American Society for Studies in Romanticism. Toronto, Ontario. August 2020. Conference cancelled.
- “From Wordsworth’s Poetic Problem to Puzzleless Interactive Fiction.” Electronic Literature Organization Conference. Virtual. July 2020.
- “‘A Taped Voice’: afternoon and the Romantic Periphery of Hypertext Fiction.” Electronic Literature Organization Conference. Cork, Ireland. July 2019.
- “The Poetics of Datascapes: Wordsworth’s Prelude and A Mind Forever Voyaging.” Northeast Modern Language Association. Hartford, CT. March 2016.
- “The Surrogates and Cyber Addiction in the Age of Hyperconnectivity.” Stony Brook English Graduate Conference. New York, NY. March 2016.
- “Indra Sinha's Cybergypsies, Cyberpunk, and the (In)visibility of the Imaginary.” Science Fiction Research Association. Stony Brook, NY. June 2015.
- “From Place to Record: Indra Sinha’s Technological Imagination of Bhopal.” University of North Carolina at Greensboro Graduate Conference. Greensboro, NC. March 2015.
- “Turning Water Into Gold: The Immaterial World and Control of Water Resources in Craig Thompson’s Habibi.” Marvels & Monsters: A Symposium on Asian Images in Comics and Graphic Narratives. April 2014.
- “Interface and the Becoming of (Digital) Space in Romantic Poetry.” Stony Brook Philosophy and the Arts Conference. New York, NY. March 2014.
- “‘Thou art mortal. Thou snorest’: Confessions of an English Political Economy Reader.” Stony Brook English Graduate Conference. New York, NY. March 2014.
- “Throwing Away the Ladder: The Prelude as a Model for Digital Aesthetics.” International Conference on Romanticism. Rochester, Michigan. September 2013.
Stony Brook University (2013 - 2020)
Instructor of Record, English Department
EGL 130: Introduction to Digital Humanities Spring 2020
EGL 130: Literature, Science, and Technology (ONLINE) Summer 2019
EGL 394: Topics in Literary and Cultural Studies of Science and Spring 2019
EGL 130: Literature, Science, and Technology (ONLINE) Winter 2019
EGL 389: Science Fiction Fall 2018
EGL 389: Science Fiction (ONLINE) Summer 2018
EGL 130: Literature, Science, and Technology Spring 2018
EGL 130: Literature, Science, and Technology (ONLINE) Winter 2018
EGL 191: Introduction to Poetry Fall 2017
EGL 389: Science Fiction (ONLINE) Summer 2017
EGL 192: Introduction to Fiction Spring 2017
EGL 130: Literature, Science, and Technology Fall 2016
EGL 191: Introduction to Poetry Spring 2016
EGL 192: Introduction to Fiction Fall 2015
Teaching Assistant, English Department
EGL 205: Survey of British Literature I Fall 2015
EGL 312: Romantic Literature in English Spring 2015
EGL 205: Survey of British Literature I Fall 2014
EGL 224: 20th Century Literature in English Spring 2014
MEC 300: Technical Communication in Mechanical Engineering Spring 2014
EGL 217: Survey of American Literature I Fall 2013
Hunter College, City University of New York (2012 - 2013)
Tutor, Rockowitz Writing Center: Writing and Reading
Departmental Service & Leadership Experience
- Humanities for the Environment Faculty Development Seminar, Founding member (2014 - 2019)
- English Graduate Student Conference Committee ( 2014 - 2016)
- Graduate English Society Web Coordinator (2014 - 2016)
- Research Assistant (Summer 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019)
- Arts and Sciences Curriculum Committee (2013 - 2014)
- Graduate Student Organization Senate (2013 - 2014)
- Electronic Literature Organization (ELO)
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- International Conference on Romanticism (ICR)
- North American Society for Studies in Romanticism (NASSR)
- Northeast Modern Language Association (NeMLA)